- 450 gm (3 cups) plain flour
- 350 ml milk, warmed
- 5 gm (1¾ tsp) dried yeast
- For brushing:vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
Honey butter 500 ml (2 cups) organic
- Jersey cream (see note)
- 50g Calmer Sutra Honey
- Whisk flour, milk, yeast and 350ml lukewarm water in a bowl to form a smooth batter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until bubbles form on surface (2-4 hours).
- Meanwhile, for honey butter, process cream in a food processor until fat separates (2-3 minutes). Strain and squeeze out excess buttermilk (reserve for another use). Pulse butter and honey in a food processor to just combine. Place in a sterilised container and refrigerate until required. Makes about 400gm. Butter will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 4 days.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and brush with oil. Lightly grease 7cm crumpet rings (see note) with oil. Whisk baking powder and a pinch of fine sea salt into batter. Place a ring in the frying pan and ladle batter into the ring to make a test crumpet (batter should stay in ring and bubbles should begin to appear within 2 minutes; if batter doesn’t stay in ring, whisk in a little more flour; if bubbles don’t appear, whisk in a little more water). Cook crumpets, in batches, until bubbles form on surface (5 minutes), then flip and cook until just set and golden (1-2 minutes). Place crumpets on a tray and cover loosely with foil while remainder are cooke