A Festive Chai Cookie
In the spirit of spreading holiday #goodcalmer, our Sales Manager Nina came up with these delicious and fun Chai-Spiced Gingerbread Cookies. Although they make a festive addition to any hamper style present, they're perfect any time of the year.
Get creative with different holiday or non-holiday shapes, pipe icing over them or simply dust them with confectioners sugar.
- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 3 teaspoons of Chai Baking Spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
- Plain flour, to dust
- Cookie cutters (whatever shapes you prefer)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (or icing sugar), sifted
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Liquid food colouring (optional)
- Piping bags or small plastic bags
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to lightly grease.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, Chai Baking Spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the icing, place egg white and lemon juice in a clean, dry bowl. Whisk together until fully incorporated, then gradually add icing sugar whisking as you go. The icing should not be runny. Divide icing among 3 bowls. Cover 1 bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. If desired, divide amongst small bowls and add food colouring, stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use your cookie cutters to cut out the shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a very small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread to decorate.
Happy festive season! Enjoy!