Nothing says Easter more than gorging on chocolate and overestimating how many hot cross buns you can consume. With all this extra time on our hands over the Easter-in-isolation long weekend, we decided to get creative with all those extra buns.
Our favourite hot cross buns come from Candied Bakery in Spotswood. They are perfect in every way- just the right amount of fruit and that fine glossy finish. Do yourself a favour and check them out for all things baked goods!
We used these buns to create an indulgent Easter Pudding - it is our take on a classic bread and butter pudding. We infused the custard with our Calmer Chai and made a decadent white chocolate and maple sauce for all you sweet tooths out there.
- 6x Hot Cross Buns
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing pan and buttering buns.
- 600ml Thick Cream
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla paste
- 8 Egg yolks
- 180g Caster Sugar
- 3 tbsp Calmer Chai
- 100g White Chocolate
- 1 cup Thick Cream
- 50g Butter
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- Place cream, chai, butter and vanilla into a medium saucepan
- Bring to boil then remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to infuse and cool slightly
- Grease medium-size baking dish with butter
- Slice the hot cross buns in half and spread butter on each side
- Lay them in the baking dish with X on top
- Whisk or beat the egg yolks and caster sugar until light in colour
- If a skin has formed simply use a spoon to remove and discard
- Using a sieve strain the mixture into a bowl to remove the remaining Calmer Chai
- Add the cold milk to the Calmer Chai mixture and stir
- Slowly add the Calmer Chai mixture to the yolks whisking until combined
- Pour the mixture over the buns and leave to soak for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Bake pudding in a water bath - place pudding dish within a larger baking dish and fill the outside dish with boiling water until it reaches halfway up the pudding dish (this ensures a slower more even bake)
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on your oven), the pudding should be set and a slight wobble in the centre is a good thing!
- Simply put all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil stirring continuously
- Let boil for 2 minutes while stirring then take off the heat
- Serve pudding with the warm sauce and vanilla ice cream
Dig in and enjoy :)