Dreamy, Creamy Chai Carrot Cake
Our founder Caitlin (aka Mama Chai) created this super moist, wheat-free, gluten-free Chai Spiced Carrot Cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. The frosting is optional, but highly, HIGHLY recommended!
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil⠀
- 3 large eggs⠀
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 cups almond meal⠀
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (regular wheat or spelt flour also works well if you are not worried about the gluten)⠀
- 1 teaspoon baking powder⠀
- 1 tablespoon Chai Baking Spice (heap up the tablespoon if you like some extra kick!)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt⠀
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar ⠀
- 2 cups grated carrot (about 3 medium carrots)⠀
- 3/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped⠀
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice⠀
- 250gm cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil, eggs, and sugar, until well combined. ⠀
- Add the remaining ingredients and fold together to combine.
- Line a loaf tin (23cm x 13cm) with baking paper and pour the mixture in.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the icing if making. Simply whip ingredients together with an electric beater or wooden spoon and well combined and smooth.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before turning the loaf out.
- Make sure the loaf has cooled before spreading the icing over the top.
- Decorate the icing with some more crushed walnuts and a light sprinkle of Chai Sprinkles
You can serve this loaf warm, fresh from the oven or allow it to cool completely. Store the cake in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. Or you can also store it in the freezer - all you do is slice it up, put in an airtight container, and remove 1 slice as needed to defrost before serving.