Sweet and Flavoursome
Our Sales Manager Nina baked our team this flavoursome loaf and we just knew we had to share the recipe for everyone to enjoy. Filled with tasty dates and crunchy walnuts it's definitely a crowd pleaser, trust us! For an extra spice kick add a touch more of our delicious baking spice and of course enjoy with a cup of sticky chai.
- 250 gram pitted dates
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 90 gram butter, melted, plus extra butter, to serve
- 3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped walnuts, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 2 heaped teaspoons of our Chai Baking Spice
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 21cm x 11cm loaf pan.
2. Place dates in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water. Cover with a plate. Stand 5 minutes, until dates soften.
3. Stir in melted butter and sugar until well combined. Stir in vanilla and egg.
4. Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking spice and a little salt. Fold into date mixture. Fold through walnuts. Spoon mixture into prepared pan and scatter over extra walnuts. Bake 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 2 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Slice and serve with extra butter.
Don't forget serve with a warm cup of Chai and tag us #GoodCalmer as we'd love to see your creation!